Friday, July 17, 2009

The MRI

Two questions were: What happened? What can be done about it. I had never heard about anyone, autistic or otherwise who had lost skills like David had. Our pediatrician referred David to one of the pediatric neurologists in Children's Hospital here in Denver. The neurologist took blood samples, urine samples and hair samples and ordered an MRI done on David. The MRI required that David remain still. To keep him still, he was anesthetized. The MRI on his brain was done to look at his brain structure.

When David awoke from his anesthesia, he was still drunk from it. He could hardly walk. I did not understand it. I had been through anesthesia and never felt as high as he seemed to when I woke up. But I carried David to the car with the assurance that he would come out of it soon. When I got home David needed to go to the bathroom. He was still staggering. He missed the bowl and was hitting the wall behind the toilet. I had to help him. It was hard to imagine someone coming out of anesthesia like David did, especially being only seven years old. I had heard that when old people come out of anesthesia, sometimes they can take a long time to get over the effects. Now that I know that there are physiological differences between autistics and the normal population, this behavior after anesthesia makes more sense.

The MRI showed that David's amygdala was slightly smaller than normal. The ped-neuro explained that this is normal among autistics and that if it was swollen, then David would be profoundly autistic. It is another physiological difference between autistics and the normal population.

Finally, David showed no signs of heavy metal poisoning or anything else that might explain why David suffered the skill losses that he did.

Years later, David solved this medical mystery that plagued him and I would relive this chapter of my life over and over.

No comments:

Post a Comment