Saturday, November 7, 2009

Finally, a small break

My hat is off to Dr Rosemary Waring.  She was the first I saw who identified something different about autistic children.  I am not saying that she was the first to do so, only that she was the first one whom I saw who showed that there really is something medically different about autistic children.  She showed that autistic children are statistical outliers when it comes to processing tylenol through the system.  It is this discovery and my desparation that led me to try glutathione. 

I was, and to a huge extent still am woefully ignorant when it comes to anything medical.  When I tried glutathione, I tried it with glutamine.  I had read that glutamine helped retarded children so I thought it might help David.  I also read that autistic children had low levels of glutathione.  My thought at the time was that the reason for slow processing of tylenol through the system was that autistic children have low levels of glutathione.  So I gave him glutathione at the same time.  This was done after researching the toxicity of each of these.  They are not toxic.  I figured that I did not really have a chance of any of this working, but I also knew that none of this would cause any harm. 

And yet David started to do arithmetic.  He was actually adding and subtracting numbers.  He was slow.  But slow is a huge jump from not able at all.   I will not even say that he was as far as he was in the first grade.  He wasn't.  At the time, I figured that it must be the glutamine.  After all, that was what was supposed to help retarded children.  I stopped giving David glutathione and continued with glutamine.  It was wonderful.  David did not stop adding and subtracting.  I was hopefult that the glutamine was doing something.  It was not much of a change.  David still needed constant supervision to do his homework.  David still needed ritalin to stay under control in class.  David still was no bright star in class.  He still had trouble associating with other children.  He was still my "W'appen boy".  But he could finally add and subtract.  What a change.

Before any reflexive detractors start, let me beat you to it.  It is entirely possible, maybe even likely that David would have started adding and subtracting without glutamine and glutathione.  Of course.  I was not convinced that anything I gave David did anything for him.  Now, though, I have reason to think that the glutathione might have helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment